Sunday, January 31, 2010

UPDATE - what a great day!

Here is Dad having the ventilator removed and oxygen hooked up to his Trach. He was so excited to get out of his room for the first time in a week. Way to go Dad! You did great. Although the stroll was short (and painful due to the sores) it was exciting.

They left the ventilator off even after the stroll. I'll keep you posted on how long he stays off it. It is a huge step in the right direction. Even if this is as good as it gets it is a good sign that he will eventually be able to speak through the Trach.

Baby steps! Hurray for baby steps!

Thank you to Sue's sister Kathy who just left this morning to go back home to Illinois. She was a huge help to Sue and Dad and we look forward to her return! (No pressure - ha, ha, ha!) Nancy is going to keep Sue company to make sure she eats and rests when she can. Thank goodness for all the caring people around us to make sure the basics are taken care of!

Zan, Angela and their family stopped by today. Kordell and Nancy too. Devan stayed the weekend and was a great help to Dad as well.

He is resting now. I think breathing on his own takes a lot of work, but how great it is!

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to hear about the good news. Was he waiting for me to leave to pull off this little miracle? I have only been gone one day and miss all of you already. I read Phers poem to my son and it still makes me cry. Give Marhsall a big hug and kiss. One for Suzy too. Hang in there Mel, you are doing a great job.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete